rotor upgrade

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
cooper88

Does any one know if or where can buy bigger disc rotor and calipers for suzuki mighty boy front and rear and how hard it would be to fit.
Brayden

Are you talking about doing a disc brake conversion for the rear, or do you just want better braking?

I've found that slotted front rotors and decent pads make a world of difference, because the rear brakes only do about 20% of the work.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
cooper88

yes i want to put disc on the rear and slotted on the front. i just dont know where i could get them repco maby ?. as i have the alto f5a turbo motor in my mb i would assume it would need a break upgrade. what do you think
stevan_istheman

Well i've put some DBA slotted rotors and EBC pads on my beast and while the brakes are good, probably not worth the extra cash..
But as you said, the turbo motor could need that for engineering.

When i get around to putting my F6A in i'll just tell them "that's what they come with from the factory mate!"
Who's gonna know except us Mightyboy/Alto knowing folk. :wink:
BAL4 Designs
For all your mechanical design and drafting requirements.
Brayden

My turbo setup passed engineering with slotted rotors and Bendix Advance pads, with standard drums on the rear. The standard brakes are actually pretty good, it was the lack of booster that had my engineer concerned because of excessivepedal force.

Trying to fit disc brakes on the rear will cause you no end of hassles, mostly because whatever you get the brakes from they will be larger than the MB front discs, which means you need to upgrade the front too. This means changing the hubs and most likely the front suspension and tie rod ends/control arms too.

In other words it is a big, expensive job!
cooper88

thanks for the replys but still i dont know where i can buy the disc. i think i will stick with just slotted on the front
stevan_istheman

I had a second thought...
I do like my slotted rotors :D
I just can't remember what it's like to drive a MB without slotted ones now :roll:
BAL4 Designs
gadj

Ask lil bro - think i saw him in his MB on Steve Irwin Way last Fri - Black with the evidence of where the pink/white/blue grid decals were.
So many delays to getting my MB back in order with 993cc & 5 speed transaxle... neighbor issue gone, donor shell up on rotisserie, new sheds on the way.... another project also..
ToranaGuy

I found my standard brakes in good working order pulled the little boy up pretty good, and even better when i fit the 13" mags with 165/65 R13's, then i changed the pads for some bendix pads with the titanium strip in them, and it stops a little better again, but i dunno if the pads are worth it without going to slotted rotors....

Most spare parts places should carry at least a DBA & or RDA parts catalog, and should be able to order the rotor's in for you. DB511 is the standard rotor part number for the front rotors, unsure about slotted part number. As for rear, you will have to find a small car that had rear discs equal to or small than the mighty boy front rotors. Thats going to be tough. Maybe some jap kei car might have bits you could fit but spares availability will be low to non existant in this country.

DBA rotor catalog

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
cooper88

sounds good thanks bloke
Billie

just a suggestion, if you cant find small rear discs, if possible, modify the proportioning valve. Might help
stevan_istheman

ToranaGuy wrote:I found my standard brakes in good working order pulled the little boy up pretty good, and even better when i fit the 13" mags with 165/65 R13's, then i changed the pads for some bendix pads with the titanium strip in them, and it stops a little better again, but i dunno if the pads are worth it without going to slotted rotors....

Most spare parts places should carry at least a DBA & or RDA parts catalog, and should be able to order the rotor's in for you. DB511 is the standard rotor part number for the front rotors, unsure about slotted part number. As for rear, you will have to find a small car that had rear discs equal to or small than the mighty boy front rotors. Thats going to be tough. Maybe some jap kei car might have bits you could fit but spares availability will be low to non existant in this country.

DBA rotor catalog

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Slotted part numbers are DBA511SR & DBA511SL
dunno what thy're worth, i paid a but less than retail but i'd guess $150-$175 per side
Ask lil bro - think i saw him in his MB on Steve Irwin Way last Fri - Black with the evidence of where the pink/white/blue grid decals were.
Yeah, that was him.. his is much, much different to drive than mine.
His has bodyroll and suspension and skinny tyres on 12's, Mine is low and wide with no bodyroll and stuff all suspension. :twisted: GRIP!!
BAL4 Designs
ToranaGuy

nova_66 wrote:just a suggestion, if you cant find small rear discs, if possible, modify the proportioning valve. Might help
You will have to do that anyway, if you just stick disc's on where drums were, and jump on the brakes without modifying the prop valve, the rear disc's will jam on & won't come off until you bleed brake fluid pressure from the lines.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

What makes you say that mate? Drum to disc conversion on Swifts are common as duck shit, never seen a proportion valve touched yet!

Although in regards to the suggestion of large rear discs, I don't reckon you'd find an engineer who would pass a brake upgrade where the rears were larger than the front, especially if the bias valve had been tampered with!
MERCURY

RDA do rotors for the frt #RDA12. Think you can get them in a slotted.