mightboy body on a sierra chassis

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
arklan

iv been lurking for a while, iv had a look around and cant find anywhere on this site where someone got the frame from a sierra and put a mightyboy body on it.

is there a thread about someone else who did this? or a site about it?

i have had my mighty boy since 2006 and its never let me down. lately tho iv been modifying it to look like one of those outback 4wd farm utes. it has a roobar and spotlights on the roof, im getting a winch and mudflaps for the roobar.

if i can convert it to 4wd then i can raise it some and it will be a fully functional farm ute, and sitting it on a sierra seems like the easiest way to do that.

thanks
Billie

Havnt seen any builds on one, pretty complicated job though, I considered it, even have the chassis here for it.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Brayden

arklan wrote: is there a thread about someone else who did this? or a site about it?
There's no detailed information on the net about doing a Sierra body swap, but I've spoken to a couple of people who have done it, and looked over their utes. What specifically did you want to know?
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
arklan

im going to do it with my mboy and i was hoping for some tips, what were the major problems they ran in to, what would they do differently if they had to do it again etc.
Brayden

Well the easiest way to do the swap with current regs is to put the MB body on a stock Sierra chassis & running gear. This way the conversion classifies as a rebody and not a ICV, and getting the vehicle engineered is easier. Once that part is done you could then look at modifying the driveline, ride height etc and re-engineer it.

There are only two major modifications requried to fit the body. One is to move the rear suspension shackles forward and shorten the driveshaft, the other is to recess the firewall and realign the steering. Of course there are plenty of other things that will need modifying, but those are the major obstacles.

First thing to do would be talk to a local engineer and see what they require in order to certify the vehicle at the end of the process. Or you could just buy a Mightierra that has already been done. I know there's one in the Newcastle/Cent. Coast area that seems to be for sale all the time, and another in Wagga. Neither are cheap, but the conversion costs decent money to do right.
arklan

well putting the mboy body on a sierra is out because of recessing the subframe and the guy who was gonna sell me the sierra has decided to keep it for someone else.

what i want to do with my mboy is make it in to more of a beaut ute and raise it a bit.
for the back i can just put the axle under the springs and swap the brackets around, this will give me about 2-3 inches at the back.
at the front it looks like all id have to do is put in some blocks at the 4 points of the sub frame to lower the engine.
the steering arms can then be flipped up so they bolt from the top rather than the bottom.
hoses will need to be adjusted.

will this work?
Brayden

Moving the front subframe won't jack up the front end because the suspension moves independently. You'd need to install longer struts/springs.

datsun 1000 ute chassis would be your best bet due to size
and rear wheel drive only if thats what you where planning
front suspension is double wishbone and quite narrow rail
setup as the 1000 body is quite narrow.
Then you can even fit a rotary for engineering :)
Billie

Cant legally fit 13b's in datsun 1200's. Use to be able to but changed the laws. You could buy a datsun 1200 with a engineered 13b and use it i guess, probaly cost 6-10 grand.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
Billie

Also, datsuns dont have a seperate chassis do they?
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝
arklan

the mboy already has taller struts in the front which raised it by about 30mm
side effect of this was to make the front really stiff.

so if i do what i said above, and lengthen the struts, it will work?
i dont want to transfer the body to another car due to lack of space, i was gonna be able to do it with the sierra but he decided to give it to someone else.

8 wrote:datsun 1000 ute chassis would be your best bet due to size
and rear wheel drive only if thats what you where planning
front suspension is double wishbone and quite narrow rail
setup as the 1000 body is quite narrow.
Then you can even fit a rotary for engineering :)
big booboo sorry guys meant Mazda 1000 ute
Billie

Also cant put them in them things. Power to weight.
╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ║ ♫
╚═══╝

Billie wrote:Also cant put them in them things. Power to weight.
You could in the past due to commerical chassis.
You can also do a heavier chassis for a Triton
Ute or Nissan ute where the rails are quite narrow
in placement and then you can have huge mudguards
or use FWD offset wheels to tuck them in more.
Jamesy

Hey guys looking into doing this with my mb, but want to go a little gigged and run mudders on it. Does anyone have a chassis spec for the mighty boy and body mount points? Pretty new to this so any help would be great cheers. Looking converting it on a standard Sierra then mod the others. Does anyone know if I can put an sr20 in a Sierra and still get it registered?