MPE 750 problems???

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
zeek73

Have made a couple of inquires in regards to this engine, the price is $5500 US (Turbo'd) and comes turn key with fuel pump. Personaly I feel this is a resonable price, but am after input with problems that other people on this forum may envisage using this engine. Mating a gearbox concerns me and would be interested in what others thought on its possible difficulties. I know there are other cheaper conversions, though its amazing how quickly costs of these "cheaper" engines add up. Thanks in advance.
Pete
Brayden

Besides the installation issues you mentioned, I'd check with an engineer to see if it can be legally fitted. Basically if it doesn't have an ADR for passenger vehicle use I'd say you have very little chance of doing the conversion legally.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ferdie

Brayden wrote:Besides the installation issues you mentioned, I'd check with an engineer to see if it can be legally fitted. Basically if it doesn't have an ADR for passenger vehicle use I'd say you have very little chance of doing the conversion legally.
bellhousing: depends on how much you do your self, if you design and make it your self will only be couple hunderd, but a place like dellows will charge in the ball park of 2-3k for a custom bell, a adapter plate will be about 1k

if it has no ADR for emissions, you will have to pay for the testing to be done, and that will run up in the 3 - 5k range, and not possible to know how it will go "till the money is spent"

so my 10c guess would be: purchase price + bellhousing + testing if needed.... for 10k im sure you could make it go faster with somwthing else (just an idea but 4age???)
zeek73

Thanks,
IM240 emission test, apparently a free test at Penrith NSW and not a impossible one to pass according to information I've managed to gather, in fact supposedly fairly easy one. Just need to see if it is still free.
Cheers for the input
Pete
ferdie

zeek73 wrote:Thanks,
in fact supposedly fairly easy one.
go to oz clubbies, you will find this test is everything and anything but easy, ive not had to do it yet myself, but it is in my future, and at no point do i believe its free?? happy to be proven wrong on that part...
zeek73

Appears to be free.... Of course this may be only for standard vehicles, though some google searching seems to indicate not, will have to make that phone call.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/environment/c ... sions.html

Roads and Maritime Services offers free emissions testing for petrol and LPG vehicles so you can check the emissions performance of your vehicle. Properly maintained vehicles have emissions that are close to the new vehicle standard. Click here for tips about maintaining your vehicle.

High emissions may indicate a problem that a tune-up or repairs could fix, and as a result save you money on petrol.

Roads and Maritime Services has laboratory grade emissions testing equipment (accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities) at Botany and Penrith Motor Registries. If you would like to get your vehicle tested, please call the Roads and Maritime Services Customer Service Centre on 137 AIR (137 247) for a booking. Testing normally takes 20 to 30 minutes.
ferdie

but think you will find as you are looking to build a project, its not "checking your vehicle" its proving a compliance to the standard for engineering and there is a $$$ attached to that.

will be $$$ for me as i will be taking time off work to make the trip down, then if it doesnt pass, come home rest and repeat.... i believe there is no place in qld for it to be done although its still a requirement in some ICV cases.
zeek73

Mate, rang the NSW RTA or whatever their new name is and they stated it is a free test for any vehicle. I posed the question is it still free for engineering purposes and was told that to the best of their knowledge they have never heard of anyone having to pay.
I can only assume, seen as this was the booking people which I spoke to that the information is correct. No doubt this will change when someone needs to implement something for a promotion.....
Cheers
Pete
Brayden

Any problems you will likely run into with the MPE750 will be based on whether it has a benchmark emissions standard for use in a passenger vehicle.

Say for example you were doing an F6A conversion and using the standard ECU. The engineer can simply get hold of the emissions info from Suzuki (via Suzuki Japan) and a standard IM240 test will show whether it matches the benchmark.

If this info doesn't exist for the MPE750 then I'm sure that would complicate the process!
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
ferdie

i hope you are correct!! i will try pm some of the guys that have been through it and ask for first hand details.

brayden, my understanding is that the jap emissions numbers are not recognised. my understanding is it must be a euro or a usa number or its not worth the paper its written on.

good example, i know the guy and the car first hand, he wanted to build a SR20de clubman, the sr20de was not released here in RWD format sr20det was released here in australia in the s14, even though the importer could provide jap test results (as they also did compliance on the s13-14-15) he had to use a sr20det as that had aust compliance... he always laughs that the gov actually "made him do it" and now he has 2x the power for the same planned weight :D

the clubman kit retailers who have still got compliance for the 4age-combo all say it cost them epic time and money to prove that package through the exhaust test. possibly its because it is a business??
ferdie

i stand corrected, the NSW test is free (the other states still charge, still think there is no testing place in qld, so looks like im getting mine doen in NSW when the time comes :D )