how to remove motor from 86 carry

Suzuki van tech question and answers.
evil1

how are yas.
im pretty new to the 'carry scene'
and need some help with my ride.
its a f10a paid $250 for it licensed. BARGAIN!
umm last owned sed it drops a bit of oil and doesnt hold idle.
im gona see if i can patch it up, but im scared if it needs a rebuild, how do i take the motor out?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
Brayden

Jack the body up on a _good_ set of stands, unbolt the gearbox, disconnect all wiring/radiator hoses/fuel lines, undo cross member and engine mounts, lower the whole lot down.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
Nehemiah

As Brayden said. Just make sure it cant fall on you.
I got the lot out and back in by myself, not recommended but it shows its quite a simple job.

The way I got mine out was a little ghetto as I was by myself, but I'll mention it anyway.
You don't have to drop the gearbox but I wanted to inspect it so I did.
The surface your working on should be solid (not dirt, gravel or grass etc) less the jack stands will sink and tip over.
OK....

Disconnect battery

Remove seats, seat belt's and gear linkages

Drain fluid from gearbox, engine and radiator.

Put on handbrake

Jack up front of car (enough to work comfortably, no more) and place axle stands under the tow positions .

Remove radiator and water pump pulley (includes fan)

Disconnect all lines to and from engine and trans. Don't forget the earth strap and speedo cable on the trans.

Once every thing is disconnected I lowered the van back onto the ground.

Crawl under the back and disconnect the four tail shaft bolts.

Get the bolts that hold on the cross member started as well as the gearbox rear mount.

Place steel bar across where the seats were and attach a rope around it and the cross member on both sides.

put jack under the cross member and take the slack, continue to remove the bolts connecting the cross member to the chassis.

Let the jack down slow and the ropes take the slack.

Jack under the rear of the gearbox and remove mount, then lower the box slowly. Remove the tail shaft when you can. When you get to half way stop and prop up with a block, I chose a slab of wood.

Remove jack and raise the cross member enough to loosen the ropes, lower it slowly. (I stood mounting the engine and held it steady).

Lift motor with your hands and slide jack out at the same time.

now finish lowering the gearbox and the lot should sit on the ground.

Check handbrake is on

Jack up front of car (enough to get the engine out, no more) and place axle stands under the tow positions .

Slide the engine and trans out (not an easy task).

Crack them apart and remove the cross member away you go!

Apart they are quite easy to move, heavy, but manageable!

Getting it back in is much the same....
Just remember to connect the gear linkages onto the box before its jacked into position!

Clearly with two jacks or a trans lift and two people the job is much more simple!

Have fun, but be safe.

Cheers,
Sam
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
evil1

blooody hell sounds like a mission.
youd obviously have to jack it up quite high right?

also what part number oil filter and spark plugs to suit f10a?
i went to the shops and follwed what the book said, and when i pulled them out from the motor they looked different.
the plugs i got were NGK BP5ES, is this right?
cant remember what the oil filter was
Jermaine

sounds like the right plug.. fairly common one... think thats what's in my mb
Nehemiah

Agreed. If the oil filter has the same internal thread, and the correct diameter to seal to the block you wont have any problems.

In regards to the jacking height... not really, I pulled the motor out the side of the van with my trolley jack 3/4 extended. If you have access to them try ramps.

Sam
Last edited by Nehemiah on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.tamon.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2744]Can a G15A DOHC engine fit into a Carry Van? Short answer...Yes. Click for the long answer...[/url]
mightyboy

evil1.... what is the go with your signature? :-o its kinda sick from where im sitting :x
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
evil1

its pretty eye catchin eh?
naaa i just always see people having fancy stuff under their sig, so im the sort that likes to be different. i do it on a lot of other forums too...use things like papsmear, aids, syphilus....

anyway

another noob question
my carry is an 86 f10a would it take normal unleaded fuel? or does it need that stuff in it?
mightyboy

just humour me and change it. im gonna get sick of reading it real quick. change it to sex toy or something.
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/purple_monkey_fish/mightyboy.gif[/img]
Tay

Nehemiah

Awesome write up :)

Just out of curiosity for my future reference incase I need to remove my engine one day, is it possible to remove the engine from inside the car?
ie: getting a engine crane through the door to lift the engine up and out through the doors?
Nehemiah

Nah mate. Simply won't fit back up through the hole.
You can put the engine crane in the cab and lower the engine though...

If anyone has any photos of their Carry's post them up! The more the better!

Correct Plug Code for NGK is: BPR5E

EDIT: +1 to evil1's sig is grossing someone out...

Cheers,
Sam.
evil1

sooo can anyone answer this, does it take regular unleaded?
Nehemiah

Mine does... Don't know if its had work done to it though, as its not the original motor.
evil1

all goood
i just chucked 20 bux in and she ran fine
mightyboy

yeah it should, my mates one ran on unleaded.