Dog in the wet?

MightyBoy tech questions and answers.
f8boy

Hi Guys, need your brains for a sec. My MB has a f8b engine and runs great. Always gets warmed up before I take off. Now in the wet for some reason it stalls, splutters and is just a dog to drive? The only thing I can put it down to is mayby the grill. I dont have one. Came off and drove over it! :oops: Could it be cause the spark plug holes are filling with water? Any other suggestions. I'm about to post in the Wanted section for a grill, tailgate and RHS quater. Cheers Guys.
Brayden

Having no grille shouldn't make any difference to how the car drives in the wet. You'd need to be getting a whole lot of water into the engine bay for it to become a problem.

Check the simple things first - distributor cap seal, plug leads, coil, alternator - anything electrical that might be getting wet.
F8B EFI turbo - Three pots and a snail.
jackzorox

my mighty boy has no grille. it doesnt drive any different in the wet tho. its just a weight reduction in my mind. until i fix the thing anyway.
88 Mightyboy - F8b stock
87 MR2 - 4AGE

Go Rabbitohs etc. woo.
ToranaGuy

What about the splash shield for the alternator, is your's in tact?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
It's update time MB Parts list! send part info to toranaguy74@optusnet.com.au|
Brayden

The alternator has a splash shield? :-o
jackzorox

is this the panel you mean? cos it is in tact.
88 Mightyboy - F8b stock
87 MR2 - 4AGE

Go Rabbitohs etc. woo.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:The alternator has a splash shield? :-o
It's on the bottom of the thingy pannel ( i don't know it's name, but it's sorta a bottom nose cone ) and usually black, it goes between the painted thingy panel & the bottom of the bumper roughly, shielding the alternator from splashes thru the front. I think it also helps to stop some airflow hitting the engine.

Jackzorox, that looks like the top one, what about bellow your bumper, is there another like it there? There should also be inner splash panels that come down from the front rails, been a while since i looked at mine, but they might be plastic?

Cheers

ToranaGuy
Brayden

Of course! :doh: Yes the splash/stone panel on the front fairing. For some reason I automatically thought of the plastic alternator shroud found on Swifts.
ToranaGuy

Brayden wrote:Of course! :doh: Yes the splash/stone panel on the front fairing. For some reason I automatically thought of the plastic alternator shroud found on Swifts.
lol. The plastic alt shroud from a swift couldn't be useful to a mighty boy owner could it? I dunno what they look like.

Cheers

ToranaGuy
jackzorox

basically, mine is like this. minus the grille.

http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/ ... 6.JPG.html

the steel bit thats infront of the alternator is all you get. mine doesnt have any plastic behind it.
88 Mightyboy - F8b stock
87 MR2 - 4AGE

Go Rabbitohs etc. woo.
ToranaGuy

jackzorox wrote:basically, mine is like this. minus the grille.

http://www.tamon.org/gallery/v/members/ ... 6.JPG.html

the steel bit thats infront of the alternator is all you get. mine doesnt have any plastic behind it.
If you have the steel bit i doubt that your alt is getting wet enough to cause issues. Strange issue!

My eb has been very tempermental with ignition issues for a little while, sometimes no issues for days or weeks at a time, other times a little miss for a while. I finally worked it out. A failing fuse link for the coil! That messed with my head for ages. :x Since i've fixed that i've noticed a intermittent voltage drop issue - which turns out to be another of my fuse links - the aircon fuse link. I'm going to change my EB from fuse link's to proper fuses like a EF onwards has, when i get the time.

F8boy -> Sure your issue isn't a coil, that isn't functioning right on cooler days, like rainy days?

Cheers

ToranaGuy