Suzuki Kei import F6A

Need to offload some Suzuki parts? Do it here.
trunkmonkey

Guys,

Have my Imported 1998 Suzuki Kei for sale.
Vehicle is pretty tidy inside & out.
F6A intercooled turbo + 5 speed manual
has most of the modern gismos in it that a 98 Kei car has.
Currently listed on Ebay item No - 190435024700.

Open to offers & Q's.

Thanks.
.............trunkmonkey................
nelpd96

Just a little curious how you got this into the country as a complete car as I didn't think that they did compliance for these. I assume that it is good only as a parts car.

Cheers
Paul
trunkmonkey

Very easy. I imported to car via a company down south that imports jap cars. When I got the car it came with approval for only race / rally approval without compliance.... I guess if you jump up & down & make enough noise to the right people surely they would allow the vehicle to be complianced (not as if its a 800+ HP twin turbo silvia). Apparently a lot of cars are getting into the country like this these days. The car is in too good condition to be a"parts car". Merely the decision why I am selling it. Its cost me plenty to purchase & get it here. Would be a shame for it to sit it in the shed.
.............trunkmonkey................
nelpd96

Actually it is impossible to get a car into the country like this unless you have a state level CAMS licence and you still need the specific paperwork. If it came in as a race car then you will never be able to get it registered legally. I would also hazard a guess that the people that imported it for you might have done something a little shifty to get it through customs.

Closed Circuit Racing

Eligible road vehicles for closed circuit racing are those homologated by the
Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA).

Under normal circumstances applicants will be restricted to importing a single vehicle
and acceptable reasons will need to be provided to import another vehicle for closed
circuit racing.

Road vehicles for closed circuit racing usage are imported on the condition that they
will only be used for this purpose and will not be used on public roads or be offered
for sale for use on public roads. The applicant is required to lodge with their application a statement that the vehicle will only be used for closed circuit racing purposes together with a copy of a current CAMS C3 or higher grade licence. Approvals for the importation of closed circuit racing vehicles will only be issued to applicants having a demonstrated involvement in the sport where supporting evidence may be requested by way of vehicle log books, programs of events entered, supplementary regulations for those events, results, etc.

IN ESSENCE, IF YOU CAN'T SUBSTANTIATE ALL THE ABOVE, YOU CAN NOT IMPORT A CAR FOR RACE/RALLY PURPOSES.
bomber

There's a few companies that offer a similar service. They import the vehicle as a 'race/rally' car only, but you can only purchase the car from them if you have a CAMS license and intend to race it.
Don't know if that was what happened in this case.
I can say definitively however that you are right, this car - or any car that has been imported for race/rally use - can NEVER be registered as a road vehicle.
Back when the 15 year rule was still in place I did a fair bit of work trying to get a GT-R registered that had been imported as a race import.
It had turned 15 years old and I wanted to get it registered under the '15 year rule' which basically allowed you to bring in and register any imported car that was 15 years old - now defunct.
Lots of back and forth, but at the end of the day DOTARS would not allow the vehicle to be registered under any circumstances as it was a race import only.
If you were a regular rally driver in Victoria, where I was living at the time, you could apply for a rally permit, but this only allowed the car to be driven on roads as part of a rally event. Certainly not on the roads in general.
The only way I could get the car registered was if I exported the vehicle back to Japan and then applied to bring it back under the import scheme. Certainly not worth the hassle so I didn't buy it.
This has been thrashed out many times on other forums and I can safely say if you're looking at buying a vehicle that's been imported as a race import, forget about road registering it. Ever.

Oh and by the way, as far as I know there are no kei cars currently approved for import by RAWS. Well, technically I guess you can bring in a smart car that while not a JDM kei car, it does fit kei car regs.
gZerO

92-99 Suzuki Carry trucks are on the SEVS list, the only Suzuki that is... however i've tried to find a RAW that will compliance them with no luck. One workshop told me they wouldn't go to the trouble of importing and compliancing a certain type of vehicle, even if it's on the SEVS list, unless they were going to sell a minimum of 1 a month. So we will be bombarded by Supras, Skylines and Stageas forever but will never get any of the weird cute little cars that Japanese seem to love designing :)

Australia's vehicle import laws shit me sometimes.
There is a very thin line between 'hardcore' and 'totally insane.'